Tuesday 16 August 2011

A Couple Of Notes

It's been quite quiet on the Home Brood Front but I have gathered a few noteworthy points together.

Polly is now trained in manners of the 8am watershed.  There is the occasional bleat beforehand but no major shouting til about 8.30am and even then if I leave her she gives up after a very short time.  She's loving her daily grooming sessions.  I use a wire brush I bought for Buffy but she refused to tolerate it so one day I had a go with Poll.  Oh she just adhores it.  Anywhere.  She loves it on her back and hind quaters then when you go to her tummy her tail swings round in a frenzy of excitement.  Then its up onto her neck, head, behind her ears and finally underneath her chin.  That's my favourite bit.  I hold her chin in my hand and lean over to get right underneath her jaw.  Her warm breath touches my ear and she goes off into a trance.  It's just lovely.

I was down at Tam O'Shanter last week and noticed how deep the voice of her mum is and this morning I heard two much deeper bleats than usual.  Then it was back into her usual high pitched yell.

As for the chooks, Doris is hanging on in there, she's still looking a bit scruffy but is happy in herself.  Local children have been coming round and because Helen is the tamest one she's been pulled from pillar to post in the holding stakes.  She's great though and laps up all the attention she's getting.  Joan doesn't leave my side so I have to shut her out sometimes just so I can clean the floor etc.  I think she's lazy and if she can get food from me she can't be bothered going out and forraging for it.

There was a bit of a Rice Crispy drama this morning.  They were all around me while I was getting my own breakfast so I put out two bowls of Rice Crispys with yoghurt on top.  OMG, you have never seen the like!  Demolished within minutes, there wasn't time to get my camera even.  True pecking order was seen as Helen and Joan were firmly pushed out.  They then got the left overs and when Buffy moved in to lick it all out the two of them had a go at The Buff!

Yesterday was my birthday and I had a steady stream of people dropping off cards and presents - a very big thank you for such thoughtful gifts.  A hen pinny, sheep polly bag holder, necklace, earings, dress, jumper, flowers and a fantastic book all about having the good life in France. I felt truly spoilt.  Oh then there's a very special thank you to Buffy's Godmum.  Imagine this if you can - Gold Lame Leggins!  She did also give me a gorgeous Tshirt and birthday cake but the vert special gift of GOLD LAME LEGGINS is to be worn at my Young at Heart group on Friday - it may well see them all off!
Yes, life on the Home Brood Front is very happy indeed.

No comments: