Tuesday 30 August 2011

A Rhino's Welcome

First off big apologies for being lax in my posts lately, just been a bit busy with The Kiwi doing housy things.

Don't worry about the title of this blog.  I am NOT adopting a Rhino!

Our local pub has a small group of men that sit in a particular corner.  These lads like to dish it out.  They regularly offend people but if anyone tries to get the better of them it just doesn't work.  Their thick skin doesn't let anything past and so it has been aptly named Rhino Corner

While The Kiwi is very good friends with this select group he has never been invited to join their clan.  He's a bit of a mixture is my Kiwi man.  You can usually hear him before you see him and believe me he's done his fair share of offending people himself over the years.  He'd never make Rhino corner though because the bottom line is he's a really sensitive chap and is always first to apologise if he's upset anyone.

As Big Kiwi has been over for his annual visit the Rhinos very kindly asked if he would like to be an honorary member and he gladly accepted and was duly presented with his Tshirt.

I think they were hoping it may send The Kiwi over the edge but he was proud that his dad had made the cut.  Then came the real blow though.

After a formal meeting at a 60th birthday bash last week I was waved over to join them.  They feel that although on the surface I'm a complete softie, I'm also bit of a tough cookie as I have to keep The Kiwi under control.  It's a hard job but someone has to do it!  And so came my invitation to join Rhino Corner.

A few days later I was presented with my very own Tshirt and I have worn it with pride.  Guess what - it actually works.  Nobody was able to offend me while it was on - it's as thought I had grown a second skin and it felt good!

While The Kiwi played along at being put out he whispered in my ear "I have never been so proud of you".

Hope this doesn't mean I have to watch all the Rugby with them.



No comments: